[lug] Application Password Security

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Jun 20 14:57:46 MDT 2016

I would hope the history contains the hashed password, not naked passwords!

The most obvious solution is to only keep the last 32 bits of the old
password hashes. The odds of an accidental match are only 1 in 2^32 - the
odds that someone will get a false positive is negligible. You'll still
need to retain the salt used in the prior hashes, of course.

If you want to be even more obscure you can create a 256-bit array (only 32
bytes) and use a bloom filter. For each byte in each of the hashes set that
particular bit in the array. If you use all 20 bytes in 5-8 prior hashes
then you'll have a good mix of set and unset bits and the results should
appear completely random and impossible to extract prior hashes from.

You can combine these approaches. Details left as an exercise for the
reader.

Bear