[lug] Ars Technica : Linux Mint 18 Review

Robert Racansky robert.racansky at gmail.com
Thu Aug 4 06:18:54 MDT 2016

On Fri, Dec 13, 2013 at 8:49 PM, Robert Racansky
<robert.racansky at gmail.com> wrote:
Subject: Windows XP End-of-Life: April 8, 2014

> So for those people I know who don't want to shell out $100+ (or
> whatever) for Windows 7 or Windows 8 *, I've been trying to convince
> them to switch to Linux Mint
>

> http://www.osnews.com/story/27144/What_Users_Want_--_Selecting_a_System_for_i_Their_i_Needs
>
> What Users Want -- Selecting a System for Their Needs
> posted by Howard Fosdick on Mon 24th Jun 2013 03:00 UTC
>
> I volunteer as tech support for a small organization. For years we
> relied on Ubuntu on our desktops, but the users didn't like it when
> Ubuntu switched to the Unity interface. This article tells about our
> search for a replacement and why we decided on Xfce running atop Linux
> Mint.

http://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2016/08/mint-18-review-just-works-linux-doesnt-get-any-better-than-this/

Mint 18 Review: “Just Works” Linux Doesn’t Get Any Better Than This

New themes and moving from GNOME/GTK 3.10 to 3.18 means two good years
of Mint 18.x ahead.
by Scott Gilbertson - 08/04/2016, 5:15 AM

The newly released Mint 18 is a major upgrade. Not only has the Linux
Mint project improved Mint's dueling desktops (Cinnamon and MATE), but
the group's latest work impacts all underlying systems. With Mint 18,
Linux Mint has finally moved its base software system from Ubuntu
14.04 to the new Ubuntu 16.04.

 [ snip ]

Conclusion

Linux Mint 18 is a solid update and continues the slow but steady
evolution of what may be the most popular Linux desktop out there. If
you're an existing Mint user, it's definitely worth upgrading, though
do bear in mind that this upgrade may be a bit more difficult compared
to the very simple upgrade process for 17.x updates. As of this
writing, Linux Mint has not published its usual upgrade guide, and I
installed a clean copy, so I can't comment on the upgrade process.

Mint 18 remains my recommendation both for anyone who's new to Linux
as well as seasoned Linux users who want a desktop that just works and
gets out of the way. Thanks to its incremental development approach,
its dedication to evolving features slowly, and its development of
power user features and configuration options, Mint manages to serve
both newcomers and Linux power users well.