[lug] Fedora 25 wayland

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Aug 23 11:08:04 MDT 2016

Does anyone know if it will be possible to upgrade to F25 without
enabling Wayland?  I simply don't need what it provides - I have more
need to remotely display windows (as with ssh -X, not RDP) than I have
to do 3D or even video (which works fine for me under X.org anyway).

I've heard that there will be a fallback to X.org but I'm wondering if
an upgrade will force the switch and then require me to fallback.  I'd
rather not have it installed at all.  I'm not interested in testing
Wayland.

I'm wondering if it might be time to switch distros.  Bleeding edge
isn't really necessary anymore for me.  Systemd has not been pleasant.
And now wayland.  It's getting to be like Microsoft was - forcing
updates for the sake of updating.  For some of us, it's not broken.
Don't fix it.

I think CentOS or maybe Debian may provide what I need.  Or maybe do
something more dramatic, like Arch or roll my own.

Unless I can upgrade to F25 without Wayland getting in my way.
--
Michael J. Hammel <mjhammel at graphics-muse.org>