[lug] Fedora 25 wayland

Michael J. Hammel mjhammel at graphics-muse.org
Tue Aug 23 12:33:50 MDT 2016

On Tue, 2016-08-23 at 11:27 -0600, Zan Lynx wrote:
> Well, if you don't enjoy using the new things I don't think you
> should
> be running Fedora. Debian stable, Ubuntu LTS or CentOS do sound like
> better options for "not broken, don't fix it".

There's a difference between "enjoy" and "need".  I build my own distro
for Raspberry Pi (mostly as a lesson in how systems are built from the
ground up).  That often requires new tools.  For example, that build
currently works fine on Fedora 24 but is now having problems on CentOS
6 (haven't updated to 7 yet).  I can patch the build.  But it works on
the more recent stuff better right now.

So while I need newer stuff, I don't necessarily want it all.  I
currently have no need to change X.org because it doesn't get in my way
of doing what I do.

> Although after enough time, five to seven years, you're going to need
> change anyway or do extra work on papering over whatever security
> bugs
> show up in that time.

I do the system updates for Fedora, CentOS and Debian (and Ubuntu at
work until I can get them to stop using it).  My custom distro gets
rerolled with current releases or git as needed.  I don't mind the
updates (mostly).  I don't always want the brand new architectures.  At
least not right away.

> New hardware gets iffy too although you might be able to cheat with
> hacking in a new kernel on an old distro.

I do this alot at work.

> Ten years from now new
> hardware will probably have non-volatile RAM as primary storage and
> 64
> GB of HBM3 mounted with the CPU/GPU driving dual 8K per eye VR
> displays.

Ugh.  I really don't want any VR displays.  My eyes can't see that 3D
stuff very well.  Gives me headaches.  Storage I'm not worried about at
the moment - I work for WD doing firmware, and my group needs Linux
support for those systems.

> Which will probably require a future version of Wayland.

When wayland is stable and provides what I need I'll be happy (mostly,
but when am I completely happy with anything?) to switch.  It
currently, as far as google is concerned, appears to offer remote
display via RDP (pixel based event handling) and not ssh -X (x
protocols over ssh).  I also don't want to fiddle with this particular
new tech before the rest of the world has wrung it out thoroughly.  I
just want my display to work they way I need it to work. And currently,
it does.