[lug] Mystery Disk Use, Fedora 23

BC bcarr at purgatoire.org
Fri Sep 23 21:15:16 MDT 2016

On 9/23/2016 9:06 PM, stimits at comcast.net wrote:
> Is there something like top, but for watching disk I/O?

Sorry, I'm a BSD guy.  In BSD we use gstat to watch disk I/O.
Something similar in Linux?

> What is a good way to remove a RAID1 device (there is no
> "/etc/mdadm.conf" and "/dev/md0" persists across boots).

In BSD we use graid.  Something similar in Linux?

Another way to kill RAID is to delete the metadata at the beginning
and end of each of the involved disks.

Here's the magic incantation for wiping the beginning & end of your
disk(s), replace ada3 with your disk/device:

     |# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada3 bs=1m count=5
     |# dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/ada3 bs=1m oseek=`diskinfo ada3 | awk
'{print int($3 / (1024*1024)) - 4;}'`

Hope this helps.