[lug] RAID1 Versus Mirrored LVM (Fedora 23)

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sun Sep 25 18:21:28 MDT 2016

Mostly I'm just trying to safeguard home directory and httpd server directory. Nothing distributed. I do need LVM because I will be balancing out changes in requirements over time, but I also can't afford to lose home, so I need RAID1 qualities. I guess what I'm wondering about is how life differs under a disk failure of RAID1 with LVM on top of it, versus no RAID, but using LVM in its RAID1 equivalent setup (it sounds like LVM uses the same kernel features when doing this as a straight RAID setup would do). Probably the only significant feature on top of this is that I'll probably use the LVM snapshot features for backups. Is there any reason to create a RAID1 partition, and then cover it with LVM, versus just going straight to mirrored LVM setup?

I like RAID, but I also have a ZFS array. ZFS is generally faster, but its more dependant on you to ensure the viability of the array info and health.