[lug] unetbootin and Space used to preserve files across reboots

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Fri Oct 28 13:58:56 MDT 2016

Hi Folks.

I'm playing with unetbootin to create a LiveUSB from Mint18. I have an
8GB flash drive.

One of the options unetbootin provides for Ubuntu and derivatives is the
ability to create a "save" area, specified by the "Space used to preserve
files across reboots" option, which I set to 4GB.

When I boot from the flash drive, it boots fine, but I can't tell where
this save area is. It's not a separate partition that I can tell, and
there isn't an obvious directory name or mount point. I've been searching
the web, but all that's coming up are mentions of specifying it in
unetbootin.

It's very unclear whether this space was actually created, and how I would
use it. How do I identify it, and save files to it?

Would it be better to make 2 partitions on the thumb drive?

Thx,
jed