[lug] FREE : Box o' Linksys Routers

Maxwell Spangler lists at maxwellspangler.com
Thu Nov 10 22:09:21 MST 2016

A friend of mine who lives in the mountains has a Linksys WRT54G
mounted in a plastic weatherproof box on the side of a power pole to
get wireless service from a neighboring house.
It was about 8 years old when we pulled it down and removed it ONLY to
replace it with an identical model that I had bought at a thrift store
and upgraded to a newer version of DD-WRT.
In summary, don't dis these old routers. They're like 60s volkswagons:
they just keep working.  They're only 10/100 wire speed, and only
54Gbps wireless speed, but the durability and the signal strength on
these guys really amazed me.
Replace the embedded firmware, if you can, with DD-WRT, OpenWRT or
Tomato and you'll have a device that can keep working with a lot of
features for a very long time.

--
Maxwell Spangler