[lug] NFS on Debian Jessie

Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate gary.hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 7 09:11:37 MST 2016

On 12/06/2016 04:56 PM, Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
> I can mount a share by issuing the following commend:
>
> sudo mount -o nolock /mnt/mfrsr
>
> Without the "-o nolock" option I get the following error:
>
> mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
> mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.
> mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified
>
> According to packages.debian.org/jessie/nfs-common statd is an included
> program, but I can't google a way to successfully start statd.
>
> This machine is a very bare-bones, no X, install.  I'm running another
> computer with Jessie and KDE and have no issue with NFS.  I see no
> obvious differences with a "chkconfig --list" on both machines.
>
> nfs-common    0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off  S:on
> nfs-common    0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off  S:on
>
> Any ideas?

Some follow-on info:

user at machine:/var/lib/nfs$ locate statd
/sbin/rpc.statd
/usr/sbin/start-statd
/usr/share/ghostscript/9.06/Resource/Init/gs_statd.ps
/usr/share/man/man8/rpc.statd.8.gz
/usr/share/man/man8/statd.8.gz
/var/cache/apt/archives/rstatd_4.0.1-8_amd64.deb

So it seems what I need is installed.

I've purged and reinstalled nfs-common and rpcbind a couple times.

user at machine:/var/lib/nfs$ sudo systemctl enable nfs-common
Synchronizing state for nfs-common.service with sysvinit using
update-rc.d...
Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d nfs-common defaults

Added the directory statd to /var/lib/nfs as I saw suggested

Rinse.  Repeat.  Same result.