[lug] NFS on Debian Jessie

Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate gary.hodges at noaa.gov
Wed Dec 7 10:00:05 MST 2016

On 12/07/2016 09:28 AM, david wrote:
> On 12/07/2016 08:11 AM, Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
>> On 12/06/2016 04:56 PM, Gary Hodges - NOAA Affiliate wrote:
>>> I can mount a share by issuing the following commend:
>>>
>>> sudo mount -o nolock /mnt/mfrsr
>>>
>>> Without the "-o nolock" option I get the following error:
>>>
>>> mount.nfs: rpc.statd is not running but is required for remote locking.
>>> mount.nfs: Either use '-o nolock' to keep locks local, or start statd.
>>> mount.nfs: an incorrect mount option was specified
>>>
>>> According to packages.debian.org/jessie/nfs-common statd is an included
>>> program, but I can't google a way to successfully start statd.
>>>
>>> This machine is a very bare-bones, no X, install.  I'm running another
>>> computer with Jessie and KDE and have no issue with NFS.  I see no
>>> obvious differences with a "chkconfig --list" on both machines.
>>>
>>> nfs-common    0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off  S:on
>>> nfs-common    0:off  1:off  2:off  3:off  4:off  5:off  6:off  S:on
>>>
>>> Any ideas?
>>

>> Some follow-on info:
>>
>> user at machine:/var/lib/nfs$ locate statd
>> /sbin/rpc.statd
>> /usr/sbin/start-statd
>> /usr/share/ghostscript/9.06/Resource/Init/gs_statd.ps
>> /usr/share/man/man8/rpc.statd.8.gz
>> /usr/share/man/man8/statd.8.gz
>> /var/cache/apt/archives/rstatd_4.0.1-8_amd64.deb
>>
>> So it seems what I need is installed.
>>
>> I've purged and reinstalled nfs-common and rpcbind a couple times.
>>
>> user at machine:/var/lib/nfs$ sudo systemctl enable nfs-common
>> Synchronizing state for nfs-common.service with sysvinit using
>> update-rc.d...
>> Executing /usr/sbin/update-rc.d nfs-common defaults
>>
>> Added the directory statd to /var/lib/nfs as I saw suggested
>>
>> Rinse.  Repeat.  Same result.
>

> Try comparing the /etc/default/nfs-common files on the two hosts. The
> first variable in my file is "NEED_STATD=" which may be set on one of
> your systems and not the other. You can set it as well to force
> rpc.statd to fire up on boot.
>
> dafr

Thank you the suggestion.  That is one comparison I did that I neglected
to report here.  Both the files were the same, but I did try setting
NEED_STATD=yes on the offending machine.  Also, since my last post here
I noticed this:

user at machine:~$ ps -ef |grep statd
statd      401     1  0 09:57 ?        00:00:00 /sbin/rpc.statd
statd      886     1  0 09:57 ?        00:00:00 rpc.statd --no-notify

So it seems all should be good, but it's not.