[lug] Specialized RHEL7 software on Ubuntu

Steven A Hart steven.hart at colorado.edu
Tue Dec 27 13:59:07 MST 2016

I've got a curious issue and looking for advice.  I'm running a very
specialized software package from NASA JPL that was designed for RHEL7.  My
server is Ubuntu 16.04 and the software runs into alot of problems when
forced onto Ubuntu.  This software is non-graphical for the most part and
interfaces with python.

JPL's stance is to just reload the server with RHEL7 but I cannot /do not
want to do that as I have alot of other software packages and data stored
on the system.

I tried using docker to essentially wrap RHEL7 within Ubuntu but that
failed pretty quick as I'm not really up to speed using docker.  If that's
the suggested path, I'll jump back in and give it another whirl.  Just
looking for suggestions as to other options.  Maybe virtual?

Thanks

Steve

--
Steve Hart