[lug] Open Source Linux POS Software

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Fri Jan 20 13:25:14 MST 2017

I don't really have a good answer, but since nobody answered (yet?) mine
will be better than nothing.

Last time I checked MySQL was GPL, which is fine for everything you want to
do as long as you don't change its source code and give it to others (which
I'm 99% sure you will not do), so I would not rule that out. Also, it seems
to still be the most popular DB, which will limit you a lot if you avoid
it. I personally like PostgreSQL more, though.

In my opinion PHP is not worse than other languages in making code not
secure. However I do not like it. And many people who use it tend to not be
strong on security and robustness, which you seem to care about. I'm sure
you can find not-robust and not-secure software written in java, python, bf
or your favorite language, so again, I would not rule PHP out just because
it's PHP. Look at what you find. IIRC, wikipedia is built in PHP, and it's
certainly a pretty scalable, robust and at least decently secure website.

I have not set a POS in either Linux or other OS.