[lug] Open Source Linux POS Software

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Mon Jan 23 10:02:49 MST 2017

He already has a commercial/paid POS system, but it seems incapable of some of the features he is about to need relative to simultaneous online and in-person purchases (hopefully lots of online, both US and international!). His POS hardware is already in place, and money is of course always an issue. The existing software seems to use only a local file for tracking things, not a real SQL database, and especially not with distributed database functionality (think local shop synchronized with a remote colocation or other network provider service...his shop cannot possibly handle the bandwidth of a real web site, and definitely not survive relying on networking for database operations).

I'm currently trying to find out more about the hardware itself and what options are available for dealing with the existing data format (such as either replacing it or "upgrading" to some other version). Some paid software might be acceptable, but I don't have the required information yet to know what he can afford (he'd be throwing out software he already has the license for). I'll check out OFBiz, and probably later today I'll know more about his existing POS hardware.

Years ago I setup OFBiz (http://ofbiz.apache.org/) for a small business and it seemed ok. I got them using it, they were happy, and after a couple months I never heard from them again, so they either were able to just keep on trucking or they decided they hated me.

Out of curiosity, why not use one of the tablet-based POS systems from Square and others? Those seem to work well, and licensing isn't really an issue since they are using them essentially as SASS to drive people into their CC auth service.