[lug] Environment variable expansion in systemd service files

Chris Riddoch riddochc at gmail.com
Sun Feb 26 20:15:30 MST 2017

I've been trying to figure out how to accomplish something in systemd
service configuration files, I hope maybe someone else has tried to do
something similar before and recognizes this.  I've made the following test
service:

[Unit]
Description=Environment test

[Service]
Environment=A=/a/b
Environment=C=$A/c
WorkingDirectory=/tmp
Type=simple
ExecStart=/bin/echo $C
StandardOutput=syslog

[Install]
WantedBy=default.target

I can't seem to get the definition of C to include A, no matter what sort
of escaping I've tried.  This is, of course, a reduced case - the actual
situation is one where quite a few environment variables are being defined
with reference to each other.

Any ideas?

--
Chris Riddoch