[lug] Partition Resize Error, LVM, Fedora

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sun Jul 9 13:25:58 MDT 2017

Hi,

I'm kind of desperate here, it looks like I destroyed my home partition on Fedora 23. It was an LVM of fairly large size, with over 100GB of spare space. I needed to take it down 2GB and add it to another partition which needed the space for tmp files. Unfortunately, home is no longer mountable. My first mistake was that I did not umount home before reducing it. Some of the notes I had are gone (they were in home), and though I had good notes, they are no longer available to say everything I did. The other mistake of course is I had no backup, but basically beggars can't be choosers, I can't afford backup. My worst mistake is probably being rushed and going forward without enough information.

The fatal command which started it all:
lvreduce -L2GB /dev/mapper/vg0-whatever-it-was

Is there any way to get this back? It seems that lvextend does not reverse this. Am I forced to reformat and give up my home partition's old data? It was quite valuable to me.

Thanks!

PS: This is Fedora 23, I guess if I have lost everything I might install a more recent version, but then I might risk losing my other LVM partitions (they're all good).