[lug] Alternative to LVM Rescue: Upgrade Fedora (but GRUB is misbehaving)

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Sun Jul 9 16:34:50 MDT 2017

Hi,

Ok, so I gave up on rescuing my old LVM since what I found out is that having it mounted at the time of resize is an unrecoverable corruption. Despite running an lvm rescue using an old archive config, there was no file system available (it resets sizes correctly...originally I reduced to 2GB instead of shaving off 2GB...whoops). So instead I'm upgrading to Fedora 25 :)

But now it seems GRUB will not cooperate. The motherboard supports UEFI, but all partitions are old style BIOS. During the install I told it to install GRUB to sdb, but it is still going to the old config (I need to update grub on sda).

Layout is that windows is on sda1, the original F23 was on (and mostly still is on) sdb6 (remember, LVM destroyed home, and I cannot get to graphical mode, but it still allows single user rescue mode on F23). My install was root partition of F25 upgrade on a spare 300GB partition (well, it wasn't really spare...but I can afford to sacrifice what is there). Summary of BIOS partitions:
sda1: Windows 7
sdb2: New F25 install.
sdb6: Old F23 install with LVM issues.

I cannot get grub to point at the "/boot" entries in sdb2 (new F25). It always goes to the old sdb6 (F23). I did tell grub to install while in the install DVD, but I told it to install to sdb (I'm afraid of losing windows...it's my last method to ask for help over the internet). There is no way under rescue DVD, nor under F23 (even chroot to F25) to get grub to install to sda. It thinks I am using UEFI and it ends up in an error. Do I need to completely reinstall the F25 DVD again, telling it sda instead of sdb? Is there a way to tell grub to update and use "/boot" of sdb2 instead of sdb6 with UEFI ignored and old style BIOS partitions used?

Thanks!