[lug] sudoers Failure Q

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 10 15:40:55 MDT 2017

If you run groups(1), does it say you're in wheel?
If you add just your own login, as a plain user, to the sudoers file, does
that let you in?

(That is, is it a problem related to groups or to wheel, or is it a problem
with sudo-ing in general? Just trying to narrow down the problem.)

Could it be an SELinux problem? (Oh argh.) This is what my RHEL 7 box says:

$ ls -lZ /etc/sudoers
-r--r-----. root root system_u:object_r:etc_t:s0       /etc/sudoers
$ ls -lZ /usr/bin/sudo
---s--x--x. root root system_u:object_r:sudo_exec_t:s0 /usr/bin/sudo

Is /etc/sudoers being read? Last access is "ls -ulrt /etc/sudoers" , though
you may have to touch the file as root, then sleep for a minute before
trying. (Maybe it's looking in the wrong place.)

If you're on the console, instead of a terminal, can you sudo? (Is it set
to prohibit sudo from a terminal?)

After you su, to become root, can you sudo? (Perhaps sudo just hates you.)

More grasping at straws, but who knows?

On Mon, Jul 10, 2017 at 2:13 PM, <stimits at comcast.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> The addition to wheel was added during install. Since then I've logged out
> and back in many times. It just seems like the config is being ignored. The
> file was never edited, and only viewed with visudo to see what was in it
> (no changes made). Permissions of "/etc/sudoers" should be correct, it is
> (seems like a bug in the installer or sudo):
> -r--r-----. 1 root root 3245 Jun  1 05:08 /etc/sudoers

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>
720-837-8908 [cell], @goyishekop [twitter]
*פרייהייט? דאס איז יאַנג דינען וואָרט!*