[lug] sudoers Failure Q

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Mon Jul 10 16:09:27 MDT 2017

On Mon, 10 Jul 2017 15:40:55 -0600
Jeffrey S. Haemer wrote:

> More grasping at straws, but who knows?

I spent a little time trying to come up with a way to blame systemd. :)

Some web searching came up with known issues regarding sudo and Wayland,
but that doesn't seem to be OP's problem either. That report mentioned
PolicyKit and how Wayland apps are supposed to gain elevated privileges.

Then I thought maybe something in /etc/sudo.conf could be useful, or
maybe a problem in sudoers itself.

But the reported error message:
myname is not in the sudoers file
seems to indicate it is reading sudoers. Well, maybe that error message
is misleading. Or maybe a policy definition in /etc/sudo.conf has it
reading a different sudoers? But then visudo should follow that policy
too ... maybe.

Hmm, "myname" is not in the sudoers file, not "mygroup"? That does imply
that it's somehow not resolving %wheel.

sudo -l doesn't seem useful for debugging either.