[lug] GRUB2 Compatibility: Mostly Fedora/Ubuntu, Some BIOS/UEFI

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Mon Jul 17 16:19:47 MDT 2017

Hi,

I'm looking for thoughts on issues which seem to be from mixing Fedora and Ubuntu mixed boot environments, explained below.

My recent adventures and success at repairing my partition resize failures inspired me to rearrange partitions, delete some old data, and try to modernize some of my Fedora software. Basically I am still using Fedora 23, but have a working Fedora 26 install as well (there are some issues, but F26 mostly works well). During my experimentation I've verified my hardware works with Fedora 19, Fedora 23, Fedora 25, Fedora 26, memtest86+, and Windows 7.

Just to make a few details available ahead of time, my motherboard supports UEFI, but it is in BIOS compatibility mode. Partitions on all disks are all old style BIOS partitions. No UEFI is used, no GPT partition is present.

During any Fedora install the GRUB install seems to have succeeded. After install I do not seem to be able to use any of the grub command line manipulation programs from Fedora 26 though (Fedora 25 command line was the same)...those commands demand to use UEFI files despite not being UEFI mode and having no GPT partitions at all. GRUB refuses to do any command line change or update; GRUB cites missing UEFI files as a reason to reject my update attempts. Installation seems to understand BIOS partitions, Fedora command line user space tools do not (perhaps it is detecting my motherboard as UEFI even though it is in BIOS mode). I admit this is probably my lack of understanding the proper tool usage for newer GRUB tools, else I wouldn't be posting here. Documentation on the Internet is sparse though, google searches seem to assume UEFI and there is a lack of documentation on using old style BIOS mode on a UEFI-capable motherboard with BIOS partitions.

Ubuntu is far worse and has some serious issues, though I'm booting through the Fedora boot loader and configuration, so perhaps it isn't all the fault of Ubuntu. I believe Ubuntu does not handle BIOS style hardware on a UEFI board at all well. During install (I have a separate partition for Fedora 23, Fedora 26, and Ubuntu) of any Ubuntu (tried many versions, old through modern) I get a large number of USB errors. If I disconnect everything except keyboard and mouse I don't see those errors...I also don't get a keyboard or mouse once install finishes. All of my USB devices function 100% with no error or warning at any point in their existence under Windows 7, Fedora 19, Fedora 23, Fedora 25, Fedora 26, and memtest86+. I believe this is due to Ubuntu missing old style BIOS setup, and trying to use non-existent UEFI partition layout (which would cause USB to not properly load). Does anyone know of a way to tell an Ubuntu install to force BIOS mode so I can test this theory (for example, a way to drop into installer command line and change boot parameter)?

I do actually need the older Ubuntu 14.04 for some software which only runs on Ubuntu 14.04...I can do without it (I have for quite some time), but it is a big pain and I'd like to get Ubuntu 14.04 working, or at least Ubuntu 16.04 (the software partially works in 16.04).

One additional thing I've noticed is that some of GRUB's environment setup differs from Fedora's version. I may be wrong, but it seems Ubuntu has modified GRUB, or else is somehow different when Ubuntu is loaded from a Fedora GRUB loader instead of an Ubuntu GRUB loader. Does anyone here know if there are compatibility issues or hoops to jump through to load Ubuntu from a Fedora boot loader?

Thanks!