[lug] GRUB2 Compatibility: Mostly Fedora/Ubuntu, Some BIOS/UEFI

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jul 19 15:20:38 MDT 2017

Quite literally I can't afford to back up my systems. I'm also not sure what would happen with my Windows 7 system...I can't afford to buy a new license just to change partitioning, and there is a good chance windows won't like it. Once it is done I will never again have a working version of windows (not a bad thing unless you consider games).

I think what it comes down to is that Ubuntu is "supposed" to work with BIOS modes...the USB part of this though fails, and it is a problem if I can't get in by mouse/keyboard, and network setup would require this before I could ssh in. All I can do is run tools from Fedora against the Ubuntu install (I can edit the disk directly), but even Fedora tools from F25 and F26 seem to need some sort of arcane magic (remember the old IBM commercials about needing more pixie dust?) before I can use them in BIOS mode. Even if I do get the Fedora tools to work I doubt it will help...the boot into Ubuntu will still end up failing to work with USB. Getting Ubuntu to install and recognizing BIOS mode at install time seems to be the only way.

----- Original Message -----From: Zan Lynx <zlynx at acm.org>To: lug at lug.boulder.co.usSent: Wed, 19 Jul 2017 21:01:06 -0000 (UTC)Subject: Re: [lug] GRUB2 Compatibility: Mostly Fedora/Ubuntu, Some BIOS/UEFI

On 07/19/2017 02:36 PM, stimits at comcast.net wrote:> I don't think it is entirely that BIOS modes are not supported in> Ubuntu...I think it is confused by a UEFI-capable motherboard being in> BIOS mode. Fedora works fine this way, Ubuntu is incapable of setting up> USB on the same system though. Though command line tools for Fedora seem> to have some issues the installer does not. I suspect that there hasn't> been much reason to test newer distributions with BIOS compatibility mode.

I think your easiest fix is to give up BIOS and rebuild everything as UEFI.

Way back in the day I used to run Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on a Dell XPS 13 inUEFI mode so I know it works.

I believe that you're right that BIOS compatibility mode isn't tested.Why would it be, when UEFI is better by any measure.

These days it's like trying to run DOS on a modern system.