[lug] Fedora vs Ubuntu vs Mint

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Wed Jul 19 18:06:28 MDT 2017

On Wed, 19 Jul 2017 23:38:24 +0000 (UTC)
stimits at comcast.net wrote:

> I also really hate how painful it seems to admin Ubuntu compared to
> Fedora.

I'd revise that a bit, and compare older systems to newer systems. When I
first started running Linux at home (RH 5.2) I spent a lot of time
reading shell scripts, and tracing out execution steps. You could do that
back then. Now, you run smack into systemd, dbus, and whatever else might
be under there, hiding. I have no idea, really, because I gave up. Do I
really need Plymouth? Beats me, but trying to apt-get remove it results
in a big long list of things that _have_ to be uninstalled to get rid of
it. For a while, back in the days of upstart, there was a GUI equivalent
to the chkconfig command. Both are now gone. I no longer know how to
configure what gets started at each runlevel. Maybe that's irrelevant?
IIRC, Ubuntu (and therefore Mint) bring up a full desktop system at RL2.

I'm tempted to try Devuan. Yeah, it's targeted towards servers. I bet
it'll run X.

> For me the problem with Fedora is the crazy release schedule.

I'm also a bit curious how I'd like Arch, with the rolling release model.