[lug] Fedora vs Ubuntu vs Mint

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Thu Jul 20 09:38:56 MDT 2017

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 07:32:15 -0600
Zan Lynx wrote:

> The thing that you want, to control startup services, is systemctl.

jbaer at robinson:~$ systemctl
systemctl: command not found
jbaer at robinson:~$ locate systemctl (no results)
jbaer at robinson:~$ man systemctl
No manual entry for systemctl

Yeah, yeah, I know ... just install it. Uh ...

jbaer at robinson:~$ apt-cache search systemctl
(no results)

But, the point (for me) isn't in the minutiae of specific details;
systemd is just one example. I could give many, but that would quickly
become tedious. :) The larger point is that I spent a lot of time
learning how to make my system work the way I wanted it to, and a lot of
that time / effort has been rendered moot. So, even as I acknowledge the
driving forces behind a lot of this stuff, I also wonder whether things
really needed to be done in a way that leaves so much behind. It reminds
me a lot of why I was so happy, back in the day, to migrate from Win95 to
Red Hat. But, despite Miguel deIcaza's protests to the contrary, the
writing was on the wall with the arrival of the Gnome registry.