[lug] Fedora vs Ubuntu vs Mint

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Thu Jul 20 10:06:29 MDT 2017

On Thu, 20 Jul 2017 09:38:56 -0600
Jed S. Baer wrote:

> The larger point is that I spent a lot of time
> learning how to make my system work the way I wanted it to, and a lot of
> that time / effort has been rendered moot.

Oh, I also wanted to add a note here about change fatigue. Some years ago
I read an excellent essay on the topic, which of course I can no longer
find. My memory is telling me it was written by Paul Graham, but it isn't
there at his web site. IIRC, it was focused on UI changes, but the point
is applicable more broadly. The example of driving a car is less apropos
now than it used to be, but I can still point to things such as the
accelerator pedal remaining in the same location for decades, as well as
the method for operating the turn signals.

Yes, I still want my analog gauges. An oil pressure gauge is more useful
to me than an OBD-II jack under the dash.