[lug] GRUB2 Compatibility: Mostly Fedora/Ubuntu, Some BIOS/UEFI

philburt stortsky philburtstortsky at writeme.com
Sun Jul 23 00:52:45 MDT 2017

i've been using grub2 (with Cenots) for some time on my best machine, which lacks uefi (don't think i have any machines with it, poverty, though here it beats middle class most places.  most of my hardware is from dumpsters, and i moved to where people don't throw out slightly old computers (where i was in boulder, people threw out perfectly good tools that looked brand new, not to mention tool boxes!)  The point is, those of us who are disabled etc. are still using plenty old machines.  this weekend i'm setting up a p4 with pfsense for firewall, perfectly reasonable with gigabit fiber service which was graciously provided for me by one who knows i need it.  i imagine globally there are many old computers, being more usefull than if in a land fill, not that we don't all love new toys.

"We kill when we close our eyes to poverty, affliction or infamy. We kill when, because it is easier, we countenance or pretend to approve of atrophied social, political, educational and religious institutions instead of resolutely combating them."
- Hesse