[lug] Q. on SQL Foreign Keys (PostgreSQL)

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Fri Aug 25 08:41:23 MDT 2017

This is for "assisted" data loading where the intended tomcat GUI interface for loading has unknown missing components. I'll be stepping through data load and automating a highlight of the tomcat menu which understands editing/loading if load were to occur via the "normal" mechanism for creating brand new data. At some point a data load will result in a missing GUI menu to accomplish the data load. What I'm writing is sort of like gdb dropping out and pointing a location where a segfault occurs due to NULL pointer dereference, only it is a tomcat/XML/PostgreSQL data load task where data is detected loading and not having a corresponding tomcat entry form.

pg_dump is a good idea, but simply editing the pg_dump file is too large of a task. In a "small" sample I dumped via pg_dump at around 18,000 lines in it finishes creating empty table structure. This is perhaps 9% of the file, with perhaps 200,000 lines of actual data loading...the proverbial needle in a very large haystack (will probably result in coffee overdose to do this by hand). The first part of writing this is simply to graph out the database table structure.