[lug] DNS issues with most recent Ubuntu updates?

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Wed Aug 30 15:18:32 MDT 2017

I did an update on an Ubuntu 16.04 LTS machine with no issues, but I'm using wired ethernet. Perhaps it is a WiFi issue or a router issue (FYI, I am on comcast as well)? Don't know.

Has anyone else noticed DNS issues with the most recent Ubuntu updates? At first I blamed it on a faulty router (and still do - this would not affect my ability to establish a wifi connection or ping a wired port) or on Comcastic!! service but I'm seeing it on my work network as well.

Behavior:

1. Everything works fine for, oh, 10-20 minutes.
2. Chromium starts to get "cannot resolve x.y.z address" errors.
3. It looks like 'curl' also times out.
4. Slack reports the network is down. Ditto the Chromium email alert.

However if I run 'dig' it quickly comes back with the correct address. The really weird thing is that if I copy the IP address into the chromium address bar then I still have a very long wait. I don't think I've actually waited long enough to see if I get a "cannot resolve address" error.

If I click on the wifi icon the wifi connection is restablished and everything works for 10 minutes.

This is zesty and I did an apt-get update/upgrade a few hours ago.

Thanks