[lug] virtual box, bridged network adapters, and latest ubuntu

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Sep 7 08:50:50 MDT 2017

This might be a stretch but I figure it won't hurt to ask.

I've used virtual box VMs for a long time. I always add the 'bridged
adapter' network setting since that means the VM will get an IP address
assigned by my router and I can access it from anywhere else on my network.
No need to screw around with port forwarding.

(I actually use two network settings - one for NAT and one for bridged
adapter - but that's just a detail.)

It's not working on a new image based on Ubuntu 17.04. I verified it still
works on an older image based on Fedora 25. That means it's not due to the
need to sign kernel modules now, etc. The virtualbox settings seem to be
identical except for the pseudo MAC addresses.

Has anyone else seen this, or have any ideas?

I haven't tried running the image under the Linux VMWare player yet. I have
it but generally use virtualbox since I'm more familiar with how to
configure it.

Thanks,

Bear