[lug] neat trick with gnome + network manager + VPN

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Thu Sep 14 19:58:15 MDT 2017

I came across this when playing with the VPN configurations.

0. install network-manager-openvpn-gnome.

1. right-click on network icon and go to bottom of menu - select Edit
Connections.

2. create your VPN entry. (This lets you easily select it by right-clicking
on the network icon and then selecting VPN Connections.) You can import a
.ovpn file, or just read the configuration and figure out what values to
use.

3. edit your wired and wifi connections. On the 'General' tab one of the
last items is "Connect to this VPN...". You can specify one of your VPN
connections.

The wifi connections that launch without forcing me to a login page work
fine - they launch with the VPN enabled.

I haven't had a chance to try it on a wifi connection that requires a login
page. It might be smart enough to recognize the private IP address range
and not route through the VPN for those connections.

This solves one of my annoyances - I might have a VPN account but a lot of
traffic goes out between when I establish the connection and when I can
right-click on the network icon and turn on the VPN. Not everything uses
https. This should eliminate that window.