[lug] New to BLUG router question

Lee Cole lee at bicyclingpenguin.org
Thu Nov 2 18:27:16 MDT 2017

Hello everyone,

I am new to Colorado. Been in Southern California all my life till
October 30 this year. My wife's work has us now in Longmont. More on
that later. I was with 2 Linux Users Groups, SCLUG, VCLUG and
volunteered at SCaLE for about 7 years. Found BLUG and am looking
forward to the next meeting. Missed last month. Been using Linux as my
primary OS from 2003.

I have a question on my router's signal strength. Using WiFi Analyzer on
my Android phone it says channel 14 is excellent. My current channel is
6 which does not do well. Is there any reason why 14 would be so good
beyond the fact that no one else in my local neighborhood is using it on
their routers? Is there any reason why channel 14 should not be used? Or?

Seems there are 15 +/- devices / routers in range.

My current router is a dual band Airlink AR670W N Router which is the
only one I could find in my storage room. Just ordered a Netgear N900
Dual Band Gigabit Router to go with my NexLight fiber connection.

I am planning to attend the next meeting.

Thank you,

Lee Cole