[lug] AI survey.

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Fri Nov 17 17:41:11 MST 2017

I commented on a bias about what AI is about...  The feeling it gave is
that it is to replace what humans do. I think that's too narrow a
definition.
One of my favorite AI apps (besides my Alexa/echo) is CrystalKnows. It
does things humans rarely do, and even more rarely do well.  It does
personality analysis from people's LinkedIn pages -- and it's pretty
scarily accurate in most cases. [It reminds me of the SciFi book The
Avogadro  Corp - which is a pretty good AI fiction].  Also, it shows a
generational bias by only talking about AI movies - whereas some older
people are more likely to have read books (maybe even on dead trees!)
than have watched a bunch of movies.  On the other hand, I was surprised
how many of those movies I'd seen.
There are lots of similar things that AI can do that people don't do
well.  My bias is that this is where AI can really shine.
There's another AI that can tell you a person's sexual orientation
something like 80% of the time for males, and a bit less accurately for
women. Humans score a bit better than 50% right.
There are lots of things they'll be able to do that we're not good at -
and I expect that quite a few things that we're good at that will be
slow coming from AIs.
--
  Alan Robertson
  alanr at unix.sh