[lug] AI survey.

Jeffrey S. Haemer jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com
Sat Nov 18 11:33:44 MST 2017

I'll disagree with Chris, just for the reason he points out: uncertainty,
and add that I choose middle values when I think a scale doesn't correspond
to reality, or assumes a view of the world that isn't mine, as with the
"left <-> right" political scale on the AI questionnaire.  If I'm lucky,
there's a checkbox that says, "None of the above," or "Decline to answer,"
or "Gosh, I'm not sure," but there seldom is.

Plus, for old folks like me, the "chosen field" question gets tougher.
Would Jimmy Stewart have put "movie star" or "Air Force general"? Does
Chris put "linguistics" or "programming"? What would her dad put?

On the other hand, I'd give even odds that your daughter didn't make up the
questionnaire, and has little or no input on it. We all just answer as best
we can and she -- or some AI program -- looks for patterns.

On Fri, Nov 17, 2017 at 4:10 PM, Chris Riddoch <riddochc at gmail.com> wrote:

> Thanks for posting this, Dave.  I like the questions chosen there, and am
> interested in seeing the results of the project when it's ready!
>
> As an aside (because the survey is already underway) I'd recommend future
> surveys omit a 'middle' option from some of the range-based questions by
> using an even number of ranged options.  Middle options can be too tempting
> an answer for lots of reasons, like being conflated with uncertainty.  I
> don't know how I'd go about trying to figure this out (much less make the
> answers comparable), but I'd be very interested in knowing why someone's
> chosen particular answers for some of these questions.
>
> Cognitive science is a really fun field.
>
> On Thu, Nov 16, 2017 at 8:07 AM, David L. Anselmi <anselmi at anselmi.us>
> wrote:
>
>> Hi BLUG,
>>
>> My daughter is conducting a survey on artificial intelligence to collect
>> data for her undergrad data sciences class project. Would you be so kind as
>> to participate?
>>
>> It takes 5 min or less and you'll help shift the demographics away from
>> the people she knows on social media. :-)
>>
>> https://goo.gl/forms/8H9sUHrjoUZDbtCT2
>>
>> Thanks!
>> Dave
>> Join us on IRC: irc.hackingsociety.org port=6667 channel=#hackingsociety
>

> --
> Chris Riddoch
> http://www.syntacticsugar.org/

Jeffrey Haemer <jeffrey.haemer at gmail.com>