[lug] Does ayone know much about Steam OS?

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Mon Nov 20 19:55:15 MST 2017

As far as I know a Steam Machine is just a PC with an Nvidia card and Debian installed. You can run the Steam client on any Linux machine if you install the right support libraries first. There’s probably a help page online for your distro. I’ve done it on Ubuntu 14 and Fedora 26. With a Radeon card. It worked fine in Civilization 5 and Pillars of Eternity but I’ve heard that the Mesa drivers don’t do everything exactly the same as the NVidia drivers so some things may break.

Anyway that’s how you run Steam on your own system. Going the other way and running normal apps on a Steam Machine I’ve never done. But online people say its just Linux and you can run whatever.

Here’s a write-up someone did: https://steamcommunity.com/groups/steamuniverse/discussions/1/648814396114274132/