[lug] Favorite Utility/Rescue Image: LVM For Multi-Boot

Davide Del Vento davide.del.vento at gmail.com
Wed Nov 22 19:22:36 MST 2017

Not really an answer to your question but some food for thought.

1) why 14.04 which for which support will "soon" be discontinued? Go with
16.04 instead.

2) in all the install I make, I always install linux only, often two of
them. I use manual partitioning which (I think) gparted (or whatever the
install provides). I make one swap (shared by all the linux installs), plus
one root for each OS, plus (very important!) at least one spare "root",
plus everything else that I may need, for example home (but I **never**
share homes among different OS, we do that at work and it's a nightmare).
If I have separate homes, I have one for each OS plus the same number of
spares. If I do things like /tmp, /opt or /scratch and the likes, I make
them as I see fit, which often is just one for the whole machine (not one
for each OS like the previous). The spare(s) "root" and "home" are used for
"dist-upgrades" which I always do as fresh install, mounting the thing that
I am "upgrading" as "oldroot" and "oldhome" (if appropriate). I manually
move from the old install whatever data I need, when I need it.

This has served me well, and the partition tool coming from all the OS I've
tried always worked out of the box for the purpose (as long as you select:
"I decide the partitions, forget about the dumb install script making such
choices on its own").