[lug] Fedora 27!

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Tue Jan 2 15:40:46 MST 2018

Hi,

I actually set aside a couple of partitions for testing new versions of Linux (and my favorite has been Fedora for a long time, though I've used the KDE spin instead of Gnome), and I'm testing some software compatibility. I was happy to see Fedora 27 is out since I had some issues with 26 (it was a fairly good release, but there were a couple of problems...mostly KDE related).

So I've installed Fedora 27 KDE spin, and also Fedora 27 Cinnamon, which I've never used before. It seems more responsive than KDE, and fairly clean looking. I was pretty much sold on keeping it until I found out how hard it was to change desktop fonts (it seems one must edit css stylesheets).

I'm kind of "bleh" with Ubuntu, though I find some of the lightweight versions (LXDE comes to mind...it works quite well even on atom laptops with tiny resources) more intriguing. The Unity desktop itself is a case of "I try to not touch that stuff unless it is necessary".

So although I'm only asking about opinions, let me ask from a new point of view not normally asked: What newer distributions (implying a recent kernel) have people here tried where you thought you could set up fonts and readability without great trouble? Which distributions did you find complete, yet still configurable for visual customization (especially if your eyes are not so great)?

Thanks!