[lug] Fedora 27!

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Wed Jan 3 18:45:16 MST 2018

I have to toss in a word for using virtualbox instead of spare partitions
for this. It can be a bit of a pain if you require signed kernel modules
but with the guest additions you can resize the virtual desktop to cover
your full screen and get a good feel for it. There's probably a modest
performance hit - but you can have a dozen virtual systems that you quickly
flip between (or even run concurrently!) instead of a single partition that
you have to manually reloading it every time.

The other benefit is that you can use a dedicated virtual machine for porn
to reduce the risk of malware.

BANKING!

BANKING! I meant to type 'BANKING', not 'porn'. Geez, you guys have your
mind in the gutter.

It's one of the standard bits of advice that even I often don't bother to
follow - create a virtualbox image with a stripped down browser and only
use it to access banking sites. The odds that malware will make it onto
that browser are low.

You can extend this logic to a few other categories of sites. My AWS stuff
should probably go in a virtualbox sandbox. My social media, such as it is,
should also go into one.