[lug] Fedora 27!

stimits at comcast.net stimits at comcast.net
Wed Jan 3 19:26:13 MST 2018

Not long ago I rearranged partitions because of how much more convenient it is to have a home directory on LVM, but a base operating system on its own non-LVM partition (I actually have my "/var/www", "/usr/local", and "/var/lib/pgsql" directories on LVM as well), and as soon as I see something I like I just boot to that now and mount my partitions (I do actually have something a bit more complicated for PostgreSQL since there can be version issues). Although I could try things out with a VM it wouldn't be practical for some purposes...one is some embedded software which does not work well with a VM's USB and networking...another is a complication of using CUDA...and yet one more is from some new software licensing. It's nice to just mount my "/usr/local" LVM and see if it still works...trial by fire from which I can't be burned (or at least not easily).

The bonus is that with multiple disks, and a BIOS which can pick which MBR it boots from, I can switch to a test boot, install, and if it fails switch the BIOS back to the original MBR...then fix it. If I want to test out chain loading or odd boot loader arrangements I once again don't worry about boot records getting messed up since I have several and can just pick one. I'll probably be asking some GRUB chain loading questions in the future :)

So far as security goes a VM is probably a good idea...if it reverts to going away when done. I think if I had a newer system with more cores and RAM I'd be more interested in this, but my system isn't really a powerhouse (other than the video card it is from a time when UEFI was new and Windows 7 was out and didn't even work with UEFI...perhaps it is a decade old or more).

I have to toss in a word for using virtualbox instead of spare partitions for this. It can be a bit of a pain if you require signed kernel modules but with the guest additions you can resize the virtual desktop to cover your full screen and get a good feel for it. There's probably a modest performance hit - but you can have a dozen virtual systems that you quickly flip between (or even run concurrently!) instead of a single partition that you have to manually reloading it every time.

The other benefit is that you can use a dedicated virtual machine for porn to reduce the risk of malware.

BANKING!

BANKING! I meant to type 'BANKING', not 'porn'. Geez, you guys have your mind in the gutter.

It's one of the standard bits of advice that even I often don't bother to follow - create a virtualbox image with a stripped down browser and only use it to access banking sites. The odds that malware will make it onto that browser are low.

You can extend this logic to a few other categories of sites. My AWS stuff should probably go in a virtualbox sandbox. My social media, such as it is, should also go into one.