[lug] First Programming Language

Alan Robertson alanr at unix.sh
Thu Jan 4 05:57:11 MST 2018

I certainly agree that Javascript is one of the most universally used languages - but it's much harder to learn and use correctly than Python. I'm glad I've not run into the bad Python that Michael has, but I've certainly seen pretty awful Javascript - nearly everywhere on the front end. And to use it on the front end, knowing the framework is more important than the language - and the framework battles makes the Wild West look tame... Node.js is much cleaner and clearer - if you need asynchronous, event-driven programming. That's a fairly advanced topic.

My recommendation would be Python and Flask. Flask is _embarrassingly_ easy.

If she decides to go into programming after trying it, then she'll need to learn lots of languages.

For a first program, I'd go for the easiest win possible, then let her see if she likes it. If she doesn't like the easiest program and method, she won't like the rest of them ;-).

--
  Alan Robertson
  alanr at unix.sh