[lug] First Programming Language

Jack Rosenthal jack at rosenth.al
Thu Jan 4 08:25:33 MST 2018

On Thu, 04 Jan 2018 at 08:17 -0700, Davide Del Vento wrote:
> My (elementary school) girls are starting with scratch, and will move to
> python only after that.

Yes, a very good idea. Especially for elementary school students who
might struggle with syntax concepts (rather than solving the problem at
hand). I've done something similar with 4th--6th grade students and it
worked well.

I've found that most students high school and above can get a language
like Python without using Scratch first. YMMV.

--
Jack M. Rosenthal                 ( http://inside.mines.edu/~jrosenth
Graduate Student, Computer Science )     http://jack.rosenth.al

A big ball of data and data systems that are stuck together with a
hot gluegun and bound by duct tape and baling wire.
 -- Ginny Lee (describing the old identity managment system at Mines)