[lug] Pushing Back Against Gnome CSD/Headerbars

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Jan 28 12:05:40 MST 2018

Hmmph. Just read the Slashdot discussion regarding the Gnome CSD
initiative.
https://wiki.gnome.org/Initiatives/CSD
https://tech.slashdot.org/story/18/01/27/2245240/should-apps-replace-title-bars-with-header-bars

And my initial reaction is to agree with all the negative remarks in
the /. discussion, if not in tone, then certainly in substance. In
essence, I'm asking, "What in the Wide Wide World of Sports is a goin' on
here?"

As an end user, I'm not privy to whatever discussions proceed deep in the
bowels of the Gnome/GTK developer community. And, really, I don't think I
should have to be. But, I also suspect that since I don't agree with
what appears to be the end result, I wouldn't support whatever arguments
are being used to justify it anyway.

Does anyone here know why it is the Gnome people feel the need to foist
this upon us? Is there some good reason why window management functions
somehow now need to be managed by applications? I seriously don't get it.