[lug] Speed up osm2pgsql

Lee Woodworth blug-mail at duboulder.com
Thu Feb 8 15:15:22 MST 2018

On 02/08/2018 01:43 PM, Alan Robertson wrote:
> I had a similar thought...

 >> steve.sullivan at mathcom.com:

 >> Not sure if you want to go this direction, but on ebay
 >> there are a lot of big servers for sale that could
 >> put the whole problem in main memory, ending swapping.

 >> For example, Dell R910 6 core with 256 GB RAM for about $800.

That is a good idea. We are removing equipment out of colo though,
so it would need to be in my office. The power draw, fan noise
and space would problems. The current hardware is a pretty new
system76 tower so the power and noise aren't bad.

I had considered the cloud but the google compute engine prices I see
now are about:
    $0.034  / vCPU hour
    $0.0045 / GB hour (first 6.5GB per vCPU)
    $0.0096 / GB hour
    $0.17   / GB / month (persisent ssd)

So just running:
    4 cpu, 256GB ram, 500GB disk
would be
    $0.136 / hr  vCPU
    $2.424 / hr  ram
which is
    $1874 / mo just for cpu and ram
Adding the disk gets
    $1959 / mo not including network charges

A new box from system76 with 256GB would be ~$6,000 with
a 250GB m2 ssd for root and 500GB nvme ssd for data.
So the cloud doesn't make sense for us even with if it was
discounted 70%.