[lug] FYI systems w/ more than 128GB

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Fri Feb 9 09:09:42 MST 2018

For what it's worth my year-old mid-level Dell Optiplex (7030) supports up
to 64 GB and an (mumble) drive - the one that's on a small daughterboard.
The small form factor system itself was under $1k, and the disk and extra
32GB of memory (46 GB total) added another $500. I wish I could have gotten
the system without the windows disk though. :-(

Chromium still manages to consume all of the memory.

It's a nice dev system since that much memory allows me to run multiple
virtualbox instances. For instance the 8 GB and multiple cores required for
a Cloudera Express Hadoop instance is a major drag on my other systems but
it's nothing on this system.

Obviously Dell sells servers that support even more memory (for a lot more
money) or you could build your own. If that's what you need then that's
what you'll need to do. But for most of us 64 GB is more than enough and
this is solid hardware for the price.

(For the original question - it sounded like 128GB (or more) is ideal but
it's only needed for a quarterly import. A system with 64 GB might be a
good compromise between cost and wear on the SSD.)

(Dell has three levels. Inspiron is the consumer grade systems. Optiplex is
the business class systems - it has beefed up hardware so it's better for
systems that are up 24/7. I don't remember the name of the server class
systems. Email me directly if you want to know what's currently on sale -
it can be cheaper to buy the prepackaged special and then customize it than
to make a per-spec order.)

Bear