[lug] FYI systems w/ more than 128GB

BC bcarr at purgatoire.org
Fri Feb 9 09:34:25 MST 2018

On 2/9/2018 9:09 AM, Bear Giles wrote:
> For what it's worth my year-old mid-level Dell Optiplex (7030)
> supports up to 64 GB and an (mumble) drive - the one that's on a
> small daughterboard. The small form factor system itself was under
> $1k, and the disk and extra 32GB of memory (46 GB total) added
> another $500. I wish I could have gotten the system without the
> windows disk though. :-(
>
> Chromium still manages to consume all of the memory.

Is Chromium the Linux version of Chrome that runs on Windows boxes?
How can it consume all the memory?

For curiosity sake...  Two years ago, I built a Supermicro mobo + Xeon
+ 64GiB ECC RAM box for about $1300 including new case and mirrored
500GiB Samsung SSD drives.  Running Win10 :(, required for now due to
some software I need to use.  It is the first computer I've had where
I can't outrun the type ahead buffer, even with 5 VMs running, 50 tabs
open in the browser, video rendering going on, yada.  The most memory
I've consumed running is around 45GiB.  The CPU cores are rarely
saturated.

I'll not go back to a non-Xeon environment.