[lug] rsync throughput curiosity

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Fri Feb 9 15:10:57 MST 2018

On Fri, Feb 09, 2018 at 02:29:38PM -0700, Lee Woodworth wrote:
> Something I hadn't noticed before is that rsync throughput can be cpu
> limited when using ssh.

Yeah, SSH encryption can be a real pig.

Years ago I spent the time to recompile SSH with the option to use
the null cipher. It still did encrypted authentication.

But eventually I got tired of doing it and these days you hardly run
into it unless you're on 10 gig Ethernet.

You can do some easy hacks using netcat "nc" to copy files. Doing that
reminds me of the FTP command / data socket separation. Only you have to
do it manually and it kind of sucks.