[lug] FYI systems w/ more than 128GB

BC bcarr at purgatoire.org
Sun Feb 11 11:22:15 MST 2018

Good suggestions, Bear.

On the SSD front...  It may be tougher to "burn through" SSD drives
than we think.  I've got a couple of mirrored, 512GiBSamsung 850 Pro
SSDs that I try to beat-to-death.  In the last two years I've probably
R/W hundreds of TiB of data to them. Yesterday, worried that they may
be nearing EOL, I installed smartmontools for windows and interrogated
the drives. Both still show 96% remaining life (based on the
wear-leveling datapoint). If the depletion rate is straight-line, I'll
be dust before these drives croak.

Did a little additionalreadingabout it and numerous folks who sound
like gurus were citing data agreeing with my sentiments. Curiously,
the larger the SSD the longer lived it is likely to be.