[lug] Bash shell script question

BC bcarr at purgatoire.org
Wed Feb 21 17:56:09 MST 2018

On 2/21/2018 5:47 PM, Lee Woodworth wrote:
> On 02/21/2018 05:38 PM, BC wrote:
>>

>>      _value="$(__get_jail_prop $_property default)"
>>

> I don't recall the string 'default' being special to the shell in an
> argument list. It looks to me like a second argument to the
> command/function.
>
> info bash usually has all the gory details

Yeah, yeah - I've studied the bash man page (and what Google offers
me) for months now.  I'm having to learn sh scripting alongside
golang.  Bletch.

> What could happen is that since _property is not quoted, when it is
> empty then
> the command expansion is equivalent to:
>   "$(__get_jail_prop default)"

This I will have to chew on and study with the resources until I
understand what you are saying...  From what I can tell of the script,
$_property is never empty at this point.  I've been stepping through
my Go version of the program and it this call that causes failure.

Thanks.  Oh, in case you couldn't tell, I'm a hobbyist.