[lug] Looking for a good simple reminder program

Jed S. Baer blug at jbaer.cotse.net
Sun Mar 4 21:07:07 MST 2018

Hi Folks.

I'm looking for a simple, lightweight reminder/calendar program. Yes, I
can make my phone do it, but I pay so little attention to my phone, that
it doesn't work for that.

I'm not looking for a big PIM such as Evolution, or Kpim, or things like
that. I just want simple reminders on my desktop machine. I have a couple
funny repeating schedule things to do, as well as explicitly scheduled
items.

I've done a bunch of web searching, but I hope to avoid the rinse /
lather / repeat cycle of installing and trying things only to find they
don't do something. So, here's the two things I most want:

Set repeating reminders for funny things such as "16 days prior to the
1st Saturday of each month"

Use a systray icon which indicates if there's something I need to do
today.

I've found that the old reminder program will do item 1. The reviews I've
seen so far for others don't go into what sort of scheduling parameters
the programs are capable of. As far as I can tell, reminder won't do a
systray icon.

If anyone has any specific recommendations, I'd appreciate it. I'm
running Mint 17.3, MATE, using Fvwm as my window manager, and no DE. I
run stalonetray for the systray.