[lug] Dell servers

Bear Giles bgiles at coyotesong.com
Mon Mar 5 11:12:17 MST 2018

I don't get a commission, really, but wanted to do a followup after getting
the latest flyer. It's probably easiest to just go to the Dell website and
look for specials and/or try the "SAVE35" code. They usually have a variant
of that (SAVE30 - SAVE40) for the small business class systems. The servers
might have unique codes for the prepackaged bundles.

Looking at the product descriptions:

7050 Small Form Factor - faster CPU, up to 64 GB memory, supports M.2 SSD
drive. Probably our best deal unless we need a lot of drive bays. $1200 or
so after discount.

Entry level server (e.g., T330) - Xeon processor but still limited to 64 GB
memory. No M.2 or NVE drives. A decent number of drive bays though. $900 or
so after discount. (Note: this is  case where you might need a specific
order code instead of the SAVE35 code.)

Advanced server (e.g., T430) - Xeon processor but the cheapest models still
support up to 384 GB in 12 DIMM slots(!). It looks like the high end model
supports up to 3 TB?! in 24 DIMM slots when using special memory.  Lots of
drive slots. $1200-$2200 to get started, pre-discounts.