[lug] Looking for a good simple reminder program

Simos blug at chinesetearoom.com
Wed Mar 7 21:31:43 MST 2018

On Wed, 7 Mar 2018 14:45:20 -0700
"Jed S. Baer" <blug at jbaer.cotse.net> wrote:

> On Sun, 4 Mar 2018 21:43:52 -0700
> Simos wrote:
>
> > > Correction: it's called "remind"
> > > https://www.linuxjournal.com/article/3529
> >
> > I also spent quire a bit of time looking for the right reminder utility,
> > tried a few of them, and ended up with remind as well. There's probably
> > a few ways you can get remind to pop up reminder windows and probably
> > even a tray icon with something like kdocker, but what I ended up doing
> > is run a script through anacron every 24 hours which checks remind for
> > events and sends me an email reminder for each event on that day. This
> > way it's in my inbox so I don't just click the reminder away and end up
> > forgetting about it.
>
> After reading the remind manpage, I think I'm going to give it a try. I
> don't know that kdocker is the best solution for getting a tray
> indicator, but maybe. I'm thinking about tossing together a quickie
> Python script, using this example:
> https://stackoverflow.com/questions/6389580/quick-and-easy-trayicon-with-python
>
> Other suggestions for "really simple" Python systray indicator would be
> welcome.
>
> As near as I can tell, my needs would be met simply by having the Python
> script notice whether remind has any output, and change the tray icon
> accordingly. Further enhancement could be a popup window with the remind
> output from that latest run.

kdocker is primarily for docking applications that are not natively dockable.
I was thinking you might want to pop up a dialog with something like zenity
when you detect a reminder and be able to dock it.

You should be able to get systray reminders through your DE's notification
service. If there's not one already running, you can install something like
notification-daemon, notify-osd, dunst, etc. You can then send notifications
using either notify-send in a shell script or, if you want to use Python,
then install the Python bindings for libnotify and use that. On my Debian
system this package is called python-notify and comes with some simple
example scripts like the one below.

Simos

#!/usr/bin/env python

import pygtk
pygtk.require('2.0')
import pynotify
import sys

if __name__ == '__main__':
    if not pynotify.init("Basics"):
        sys.exit(1)

    n = pynotify.Notification("Summary", "This is some sample content")

    if not n.show():
        print "Failed to send notification"
        sys.exit(1)