[lug] replacing dupes with links

mad.scientist.at.large at tutanota.com mad.scientist.at.large at tutanota.com
Mon Mar 12 15:22:06 MDT 2018

For organizational purposes i'm trying to deal with a partition that has many copies of each file in various subdirectories.  I'd like a way to replace all but one instance of a given file with a link.  Is there an easy way to do this?  I'm thinking i can use fdupes and some scripting.  Any better ideas or already written shellscripts or programs?

 The partition has several hundred gig of files (several hundered thousand files including dupes) nicely sorted and grouped but consuming excess space.  Run time isn't much of an issue as this machine can run unattended overnight.  I could use fslint with a lot of user involvement but obviously that would be tedious.

mad.scientist.at.large (a good madscientist)
--
God bless the rich, the greedy and the corrupt politicians they have put into office.   God bless them for helping me do the right thing by giving the rich my little pile of cash.  After all, the rich know what to do with money.