[lug] Thoughts on upgrading to CentOS 7

Zan Lynx zlynx at acm.org
Sun Mar 25 18:54:18 MDT 2018

On 3/25/2018 6:26 PM, Rob Nagler wrote:
> If you've written unit files, you'll learn that systemd is finicky so
> rather than learning yet another templating language, we just write a
> script that systemd executes so ExecStart=/srv/<unit>/start is the way
> all our unit files look like. The output in /var/log/messages therefore
> becomes:

I have written unit files and I maintain a Fedora 27 home server. I
can't convince people at work to use RHEL or CentOS for anything. Debian
snobs...

It seems to me that your problem is self-inflicted. I don't know of any
reason for you to be running shell scripts in your unit files. It's a
pretty silly way of ignoring the unit file syntax, which is ridiculously
straight-forward and easy to learn.